Saturday, May 23, 2015

Chapter Sixteen ~ Who's That Blonde?

           My mouth was parched as I opened my eyes to view Phoebe napping soundly on the blanket sprawled out in front of me. I pulled my beach bag towards me and dug through to find my cell phone and glanced at the time. It was one o’clock and we’d been sleeping up here for almost two hours. My stomach was growling in protest, so I dug back into my bag to grab the pretzel rods and grapes I stashed there, along with my bottle of iced tea.  While I nibbled and sipped, I let myself get lost in the scenery - the ocean waves filled with plenty of swimmers, the walkers and shell collectors carrying their finds in plastic buckets, and the boats far out in the water bobbing and drifting over the waves with fishing lines out in search of fluke. It was yet another perfect day at the beach, except for that display of the girl in the one-piece that was somehow nagging at me. I glanced over to where I saw her settling before my nap and noticed her chair was empty.  I glanced over to the lifeguard stand. Only Jessica was up there. I then noticed that Jase was standing in front of the stand near the water’s edge with the orange lifesaving float in his hand. He was talking to someone. I moved to my left to get a better view. GASP! It’s her.  He’s talking to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment