Thursday, April 30, 2015

Chapter Three - Swim with Sharks?

“Hello? Hello?  Earth to Casey?”  I felt my foot being kicked, the coolness of shade on my face.  I opened my eyes to see Phoebe standing over my chair. “Wake up! I’m sweating and need to go in and I don’t want to go alone.”
            “Afraid a shark might get you?”  I asked with all seriousness. “They’ve been spotted by some fisherman. Did you hear the reports?”
            “Why are you telling me that? Now I’m not going in!” Phoebe whined, stomping back to her blanket and pouting. She was deathly afraid of sharks, so of course I would mention them just to make her crazy. 

            “I’m only kidding, you idiot.”  Hey, if she could call me one, I could do the same. Besides, we used it as a term of endearment. “Anyway, the sharks would go after the smaller kids before us. Tastier and easier to swallow.” I gave her my most sincere and matter-of-fact look, and she wrinkled her nose at me and probably cursed me under her breath. I may have missed that part.  “Yes, I’ll go in with you. C’mon.”  I pulled myself out of my sand chair with poise, as it takes some practice to get to a standing position from the chair that low without tipping the chair or falling on your butt...

© 2015 Susan Kotch All Rights Reserved

Find out more from Casey @caseyofthecove

No comments:

Post a Comment