Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Chapter Two - Base Camp


                    The sun was high in the sky.  Phoebe and I decided to take a break from boogie-boarding and get to work on that coveted base tan. The sooner I had it, the sooner I’d be able to get into the one-piece and show the world my killer boarding moves. Plus, I know Phoebe would rest easier knowing that I wouldn’t be locked up for indecent exposure.
                At our base camp (also known as our spot on the beach), Phoebe enjoyed laying out on a towel, but I preferred sitting up in my sand chair. Their low-to-the-ground profiles allowed your legs to stretch out, and the reclining back allowed you to get maximum UV ray damage.  But I wasn’t worried about that. I always sunscreened. Besides, I certainly didn’t want to get wrinkled before my time.  Plus, I like  to read on the beach. You just can’t do that comfortably while laying on a towel. It’s too awkward. The chair also afforded me the luxury to scope out and keep an eye on the lifeguard stand where Mr. Hottie was stationed. I liked to watch the steady stream of girls approach the stand in an attempt to get his attention. Like the string bikinis they wore weren’t going to do that anyway...

© 2015 Susan Kotch All Rights Reserved

Hibernian Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment